Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mission 8: I love Cookies!! And I may need to go on a diet…

I think I’ve finally got the hang of this baking thing ….well ok this certain cookie recipe I have seemed to master :) Last few baking experiences have gone off without a hitch – yummy cookies produced & funds raised for race for the cure!

The whole baking experience has been quite interesting, from the revelation that baking was not so simple, to the joy of success when something came out tasting decent, and the reactions and support of people around my office. The last few weeks we have been getting numerous cookie donations. We had such a huge influx of cookie donations; we couldn’t move the goods quickly enough on a single floor! We had to expand our operations to another floor, and that seems to help, although our floor seems to have the highest concentration of cookie eaters ;) Next week is our final sale, and we worry that people may go into Thursday cookie withdrawals….

One down side is that we had to cancel muffin Mondays. Not just because I kept burning my muffins and Heather was pulling a lot of weight on that one! But we had a hard time getting rid of even 2 dozen muffins…people seemed to love the sweets, but weren’t into muffins. :( Oh well you win some you lose some! My verdict is that people need more muffins in their lives!!! Muffins make the world a better place! Really, really!!! It’s true!! (well true in my world…and I think my scale is agreeing with me…damn!)

This past week I rode the wave of cookie donations and took a break from cooking. Not just because I am lazy ;) but I was getting ready for my trip to California. The trip was originally planned to go to a friend’s wedding, but when I found out a good friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer, the trip to Cali also involved a side trip to see her.

And it was so good to see my dear sweet friend!!! I think I just need to hug her, laugh with her, and just get some quality girl time in :) I miss my friends & family so much, and it’s so hard to live so far away from everyone, especially when someone you love gets sick. My nurturing females instincts take over and I just want to hug, feed, and take care of them!!! (I am especially good at the hugging and feeding part!).

We ate tons of pizza, watched chic flicks, and the next morning we walk a 5k fundraiser for her cancer center. At the end of the race her husband came to pick us up with their adorable dog – and he had tied a “for the cure” bandana around the doggies neck! I think it might have been the cutest thing I’d ever seen :) Afterwards her boss treated her and her friends to spa treatments at one of the nicest spas I had ever been to in my life! We sat in the steam room, chatted some more, and finished the day off with a lovely lunch….. and then I nearly missed my flight home. Hehe I really really didn’t feel like leaving, can you blame me??

All and all, it was such a wonderful trip. I am so glad I got to see my friend and that smile on her face :) She is doing well and in good spirits, and I'm glad I was there to support her cancer center (and her trip to the spa ;) anytime sweetie!)

This weekend: Race for the Cure!!! And our finally week of baking :) wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment