Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mission 7: Drum roll please…..

Success is mine!!! I made un-burnt muffins!! No burn the muffins!! I measured, I mixed, I cooked, and I baked.... and I made muffins. Actual edible muffins. I was beautiful (sniff sniff)

I used the recipe from last week (thank you to Mrs. B for that!). Apple pecan muffins, they even sound fancy right? I think I put a little too much apple in them, so they were a little gooey. But I had one of those ginormous genetically altered ones from the grocery store… so it was a lotta apple. Still they were edible, un-burnt, and mostly good, so I will take that as an independent cooking success!!!

To what I was doing wrong:

I have a gas oven, so it heats from the bottom. I was putting 2 muffin trays side by side, since there was just enough room for two trays on one rack. Well the pans fit so snug, this apparently blocked the heat circulation. Effectively creating a super crazy heated zone at the base, and a not so heated zone at the top. Thanks to 3 ladies and 3 glasses of wine to helping me figure that one out!

Two tray result = burnt muffin bottoms, and uncooked muffin tops. One tray result == delicious muffin perfection.

To date we have raised $250, which will be $500 after Chevron’s match ☺ And we have everyone talking about Cooking for the Cure. Now that is something to write home about!

3 more weeks to race day!

2 comments:

  1. So, what flavor cookie is on the menu for this Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week I made "Black and golds" again: Chocolate and butterscotch chip!! This week I'm going big and trying something new: Double Chocolate Chip!!!!!!!!!!!! Grand Finale!

    ReplyDelete