Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mission 5 & 6: Natanya goes to cooking school!

Ok so this is really a combo-post: cookies & my first non-burning muffin experience ☺ So please bear through my drudgery…

#5: Batch 3 of ‘some kind of chip’ cookies complete!! I feel so successful… I am the chip cookie master! Well master of 1 recipe in which I have placed several different types of chocolate chips ;) My most recent invention: Black ‘n Gold’s (butterscotch and chocolate chip)

You see in New Orleans people LOVE anything to do with the Saints. This also means anything with “Who Dat” written on it, and anything with Saints coloring. So… I figured I’d capitalize on that a little bit… after all it’s for a good cause! It worked like a charm; only one lone cookie left after the bake sale… one lone perfect cookie for moi! hehe

Another interesting thing has developed: cookie donations. This week a co-worker’s wife baked 2-dozen for our bake sale, and someone else brought by cupcakes! It amazes me how many people want to help out. Then again I understand the need, or perhaps the drive, to contribute and just do something to lend a hand. Bravo ladies!!

#6: I baked muffins…and here is the big bonus of the hour: I did not burn them! Yes you have heard me right!!!

Ok ok ok ok … I kinda had a cooking lesson, and perhaps it wasn’t a completely independent cooking experience. But I did mix, spoon batter into a pan, place said pan in the oven, and the muffins did not exploded into burnt corrupt horribleness! I will take my successes where I can get them ☺

You see, over the weekend I went out to Austin, TX and the surrounding wine country with my lovely friends. Now, Heather’s parents live near wine country so we stop over the first night of our trip. Heather’s Mom, master baker Mrs. M, had been following my burning experiences and took pity on my poor muffin burning habits. She declared “That I would not leave her house without making a proper batch of muffins!” ok, perhaps it was a little less dramatic than that… but you get my point ☺

Mrs. M decided I knew how to measure, but something was wrong in the mixing/pan placement/baking section. In the morning she prepped a bowl of dry and wet ingredients, and declared we would be making apple muffins. Now that sounded super hard to me… with fruit involved and all…but I figured it was cooking school so I would be safe?

But safe I was! I mixed, I scooped batter into lil’ tins, I placed in oven, and I made beautiful, delicious, pecan apple muffins. Pecan Apple Muffins! Seriously, I think these were the best muffins I have ever tasted. Fluffy, light, non-burnt. Freakin’ delicious.

Heather and I had debated doing away with Muffin Mondays… especially because we’ve had ‘free donut’ competition the past 2 weeks. However, since I have a new recipe in hand, a personal lesson from the master baker, I will attempt to bake the muffins! Well, at least one more time!

On a side note…. with the help of the Master Baker, Heather&Allicia, and a glass of wine …I believe I may have figured out why all my muffins were burning. Too detailed to explain… but I will keep you posted on whether my new cooking method works!!!

Your muffin master in training,
~Natanya

No comments:

Post a Comment