Monday, September 13, 2010

Mission 1: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Batch one: I follow the recipe on the back of a bag of chocolate chips. Only thing is I’m trying to make half the amount of cookies as the recipe calls for (2 dozen instead of 4), so I need to halve all the ingredients. I keep forgetting this too, because I am also trying to watch Criminal Minds in the background. I keep having to pause &rewind my show since I’m losing track of whether or not they’ll find the killer because I’m trying to read these dang instructions …and at one point I add 2 eggs instead of one, and I realize this before I mix it up and end up scooping out the extra yolk and trying to guess-ta-mate how much extra white should also go with the yolk. Errghh now where was I at with Criminal Minds again??

Finally the batter is done, chocolate chips added and mixed in by hand. Note to self: do not mix in chips by hand next time, way too much muscle required. Cookie balls on the pan (after a few re-orgs to fit 12 per sheet), and in the oven. I set the timer and settle in for the rest of my episode.

20 minutes later. WTF?? These are totally burnt!?!? How could they be so burned I followed the directions exactly!?! (well almost if you discount that egg mix up…which I totally fixed!). Me: re-read directions on chocolate chip bag, and I still don’t understand what went wrong. Then, look in my Joy of Cooking cookbook. “Why does it say 8-10 min in here??” Re-read directions on bag again, “Damn it! That was the time for the cookie bars..not the cookies...shit!”

After eating 3 of my burnt cookies I come to terms with the fact that they are completely inedible, and I cannot bring them into work for our first bake sale day.

Batch two: I say screw the micro-printed ‘multiple cook time options’ recipe on the bag. I go straight to the Joy of Cooking recipe. The recipe is already written for 2 dozen too! I curse myself for not starting there in the first place. Whip up a second batch. I watch the oven intently knowing this is my last chance (since I do need to get to sleep and work the next day!). I switch the cookie sheets around in the oven at 4 min. This takes me 1 min to do because I almost drop the tray and dump all the cookies on the floor. I bake for another 5 min to make sure they are done. The cookies come out Ok, a few a little too crispy, but they are edible. I even get some compliments on them at work the next day! Now I feel like a total pro. Just had one little mix-up.

Next attempt: muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment